In this episode, I mention some news items about Jython, Ruby, and Rails. Then I get into a generalized discussion about the value of dynamic languages and how some people’s tendency to dismiss them is really a form of premature optimization.
- http://www.jython.org/latest.html – Jython 2.5.2 beta 2 has been released. On September 13th, a new beta release was made. There are several fixes, and you can click on the link in the show notes to get more details.
- On August 30th, Rails 3.0 has been released.
- http://twitter.com/OpenJonathan/status/24505763653 – Speaking of Ruby, Jonathon Swartz, the former CEO of SUN Microsystems, has formed a new company, The Picture of Health. They are hiring, and Jonathon Swartz (openjonathon) tweeted back on September 14th that they have Ruby and Postgresql jobs.
- To contact us:
- Please send us feedback or contact us about a potential interview. We love talking about anything open source.
- All writings and recordings produced by Pond Jumpers are published through a Creative Commons attribution/non-commercial/share alike license and copyrighted by Greg Turnquist (twitter) and Russ Miles (twitter).
- The content of this podcast and website does not represent any of the companies mentioned nor their opinions.
- The intro and exit music is the upbeat rock song “Sweet Ramona” and purchased from opuzz.com, the site for royalty free production music.